Yoni Steaming: Everything You Wanted To Know
What is Yoni Steaming?
Yoni steaming is a practice that originated in Africa. It is believed that the steam can help improve a woman's fertility, reduce menstrual pain and aid in the release of toxins from the uterus.
Yoni steaming involves sitting over steam from herbs such as rosemary, wormwood and basil for 15-20 minutes, once or twice a week. The herbs are generally mixed with water in a pot and placed on top of a stove or hot plate so that they release the vapors into the air.
According to Wikipedia:
"Yoni Steaming is an alternative health treatment whereby a woman squats or sits over steaming water containing herbs for example of, rosemary, wormwood, and basil. It has been practiced in Africa (Mozambique, South Africa, Asia, Indonesia, Thailand, and Central America), among the Q'eqchi' people."
Pros & Cons of Yoni Steaming
Yoni steaming is also known as “v-steaming” or “yoni steaming.” It involves squatting or sitting over a pot of hot, steaming water that is infused with herbs. A blanket is often wrapped around the lower body to prevent the steam from escaping. For the first time keep it to 5-10 minutes, then if you feel comfortable doing the Yoni steam increase it to 15-30 minutes.
The steam only reaches the outer part of your vagina. The steam doesn’t enter your cervix and uterus. Some people believe vaginal steaming offers many health benefits and have called the practice a “facial” for the vagina. Other reasons for steaming the vagina included vaginal tightening or as an overall beauty treatment.
Some of the reported benefits of vaginal steaming include:
- Reducing menstrual symptoms, such as bloating, cramps, exhaustion, and heavy bleeding
- Boosting fertility
- Promoting healing after childbirth (4-6 mo. after)
- Reducing stress
- Treating and reducing hemorrhoids
- Reduces menopause symptoms
- Increasing energy and reducing fatigue
- Treating headaches
- After you complete your Yoni steam you can put the herbs into the compost.
Vaginal steaming has the potential to be dangerous. This is because the skin of your vulva is very delicate and could sustain burns. Exposing your vagina to steam and scented herbs could alter its pH and cause bacterial vaginosis and yeast infections.
Currently, there are no scientific studies that prove these purported benefits. However, some people say it works by enhancing blood flow to the vaginal tissues, which can promote healing.
What you’ll need for Yoni Steaming?
- 1 cup herbal blend of your choice
- glass or heat-resistant bowl
- clean towel
How to do it?
- Place herbs in a bowl (glass preferably), pour 2 Quarts of boiling water over herbs, cover and let sit for 5-10 minutes while the herbs become saturated and activated.
- Once the herbs have steeped, test to see if the water is not too hot, (tissues of the vagina are very sensitive).
- Stand or sit on a slotted chair, and drape towel around you from waist to floor.
- Now allow the steam to enter your space, feel the experience.
- Many emotions may arise, receive them, honor them, acknowledge them, let them pass.
- Enjoy the experience and how you feel.
Seats used for Yoni Steams
From the simple, you can take it with you and do a Yoni Steam anywhere, to the more elegant
RECIPES FOR DIFFERENT YONI STEAMS
Herbs for a nourishing Yoni Steam:
- Lavender: antiseptic, antibacterial herb, soothing and powerful cleansing properties.
- Lemon Balm: antiviral herb that helps with relieving itchiness and the aroma is so uplifting.
- Calendula bright golden blossoms are antiseptic and soothing to irritated tissues. It also helps ease and treat cramping and heaviness.
- Peppermint helps energize, stimulate, and restore the Yoni. (Use very little as it is extremely stimulating).
- Chamomile It helps with relieving cramping, tension, and pain. It smells amazing.
- Yarrow is a powerful infection fighter, great for wound repair, tender, bruised, stitched tissues.
- Uva Ursi is an alkalinizing herb that is specific for UTI and reproductive infections.
Herbs for nourishing Vaginal Dryness:
- Red Raspberry Leaf: Wonderful for uterine health. (NOT FOR USE WHEN pregnant)
- Basil: Uplifting, cleansing also very nourishing.
- MOTHERWORT: Tonifies the uterus, astringent.
- NETTLES: Strengthens and moves blood.
- ROSE: Softens the blend.
Yoni steaming is thought to be a holistic practice. It has been used by women and medical professionals to detox the female reproductive organs as well as help ease menstrual cramps. It is believed to be a spiritual practice involving healing the self as well as a woman's relationship with her body.
How about you? Would you try Yoni steaming? Or have you tried it before?